Maternity photography is a beautiful way to capture a special time in a woman’s life. While there are many different types of maternity photography, one of the most popular is silhouette photography.
Creating silhouette maternity photography is both art and science-it requires positioning the body to accentuate its natural form gracefully and beautifully with the help of specific lighting.
What You Need
Your professional pregnancy photographer will use a few key items to get started with silhouette maternity photography:
- A camera-they’ll need a high quality camera to capture beautiful silhouette images. DSLRs are generally the best choice, as they allow the photographer to control the aperture and shutter speed precisely.
- A tripod-tripods are essential for silhouette photography, as they help keep the camera steady while shooting.
- A light source-they will need a strong, directional light source to light up the background and create a dramatic silhouette.
- A dark backdrop-a dark background will really make the silhouette stand out. Dark fabrics or paper work well for this.
- Props-a chair or stool can work well in silhouette photography.
- Editing software-the photographer will have professional editing software on hand to ensure that each image is perfect.
- Patience-you must be patient when shooting silhouette maternity photography. It can take some time to get the perfect shot, but it will be worth it in the end.
What to Wear
When it comes to choosing maternity clothes for silhouette photography, you have a few options:
- Dark clothing-this is the most popular choice for silhouette photography, as it helps to create a bold and dramatic image.
- Flowy dresses-flowy dresses and skirts can help create a more ethereal silhouette, which is great for those who want a softer look.
- Long-sleeved shirts-these are great for creating a more subtle silhouette. They can be paired with flowy skirts or jeans.
- Accessories-accessories such as hats and jewellery can help to add an interesting element to the silhouette.
Capturing Silhouette Maternity Shots
1. Finding Your Light
Your photographer will want to set up the light source in front of you to illuminate the background but not your features. This will create the perfect silhouette.
2. Setting Up the Camera
Next, your photographer will set up their camera and tripod to have the correct aperture and shutter speed for the desired effect. This way, the background will be exposed correctly, and you will remain dark.
Once they have set up their camera and light source, the photographer can adjust the settings until it looks the way it should. They may need to move the light source further away or closer to you; they may also need to adjust the aperture and shutter speed.
4. Marking Your Spot
Once they have the perfect settings, it’s important that the photographer marks your spot. This will help ensure that you don’t move outside of where you, the light source, and the camera are positioned, as this could disrupt the perfect silhouette you have created.
The photographer will make sure you are positioned perfectly to create the best silhouette shots, as this will depend on how the light is hitting you.
6. Selecting and Editing Photos
Once you have chosen your favourite photos, the photographer will use editing software to make adjustments to enhance the silhouette. This could include things like increasing contrast, balancing colours, retouching, or cropping the image.
Creating silhouette maternity photography can be a unique and beautiful way to capture the journey of motherhood. By following these steps, you and your photographer can create stunning images that you’ll treasure forever. The experienced photography experts at Valent Lau are well-versed in the world of silhouette photography and will make sure your shoot goes as seamlessly as possible!
Interested in maternity milk bath photography? Take a look at our latest post.
Get 5 Pro Tips to Have the Best Portrait and Family Photos Ever
Time goes so fast, and you don’t want to miss a single gorgeous moment… Get this free booklet with tips on how to have a meaningful time and get amazing photos, guaranteed.
I had a fabulous time with Laine and Gabe when…
The grandparents love seeing their grandchildren, and what better gift…
Maddie and her mum share a very strong bond. They…
The Perkins family were welcoming a very special new member…
This cheeky little girl was almost turning two! We had…
Life stops for no one – except the camera! We…